Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Post 9

This unit we have examined the concept of culture. We began by learning about how we react to different cultures with culture shock and ethnocentrism, or the evaluation of other cultures according to preconceptions originating in the standards and customs of ones own culture. We have learned different components of culture, including gestures, language, norms, and values. We have also learned that within cultures there are subcultures. A subculture is a cultural group within a larger culture, often having beliefs of interest different from those of the larger culture. For example, Stevenson is a subculture of all high schools. We have different language than other high schools, including "the patriot", "ILC", "Port Clinton", and more. If you were to use this language at a different high school, they would not be able to understand. We also have different norms at Stevenson, like not stepping on the patriot. To most people I know,  my culture doesn't have any weird norms, but someone in a different culture than me could have a completely different perception of normal. As I read "The Values Americans Live By", nothing really comes to me with shock. After examining culture in class, though, I realize someone who is not American would be completely surprised by these values. After watching the video we have been watching in class, it surprises me how much our culture differs from other. Watching the men come to the United States not knowing how to use a toilet or shower, or how to make food further proves my point. I didn't realize how many people aren't used to what we believe is normal in America. I also now realize that those in different cultures probably think the same way about American culture, and am more aware of how different each culture truly is.

No comments:

Post a Comment